Pageviews last month

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Crash—When Two Worlds Collide

Today started out like all others.  My alarm went off and I hit snooze once (okay maybe twice), the light of the autumn sun peaked its way through my window, the beagles scarfed down their breakfasts like I hadn’t fed them for three weeks, and I walked mindlessly through my morning routine.  My morning Facebook post revealed a small hug and snuggle time with Hannah.  My lunch was packed, I had everything I needed to get me through the day except my morning caffeine.  Let’s not talk about my really bad habit of stopping at the local gas station for a super duper sized Diet Dr. Pepper—it’s just been too hot for coffee lately. 

Everything was right in the world; just a short 15-minute drive and I would be at the office. Traffic wasn’t horribly crazy as it can be during the morning commute.  The only bottleneck was the intersection from Scripps Poway Parkway to the 15 freeway.  I was caught in the middle of it, stopping briefly as not to get stuck in the intersection when the light turned red.  Being cautious and alert I was ready to move forward and secure my space in line.  I don’t remember what was playing on the radio, just the flashbulb second of the loud crash and the stunned feeling that went through my body as I realized I had just been rear-ended.  My Diet Dr. Pepper splashed about, landing in the almost empty cup holder…Mr. Siri, my iPhone happened to be sitting there. 

Startled, dazed and confused about what had just happened I immediately stopped. It took a few seconds, what seemed like light-years, for me to think clearly. I couldn’t just stay in the intersection.  I immediately pulled over to the side of the road.  The man who hit me followed my lead.  He sat in his car for a minute, I quickly texted work and my friend Jen and let them know I had just been in an accident. Jen immediately offered to come rescue me.  I probably should have taken her up on that because I wasn’t really thinking clearly.  Hindsight is 20/20, but I really need to have an accident checklist in my car.  I always do all of the wrong things. I took pictures of the registration information the man handed to me and his drivers license, but I failed to realize his registration was expired, he didn’t give me any insurance information, I forgot to get his phone number, and I didn’t look at the damage on his car.  Lumen (the name I gave my only 6 month old Honda Accord) was bruised a bit, but not as bad as I had first imagined and Mr. Siri was all jacked up from the unexpected swim in Diet Dr. Pepper. 

Information exchanged, the man drove away, and I sat in my car for a few minutes still in shock and dismay. I calmly called the office and let them know I would be late. I needed to go back home for a minute. For what reason, you may ask? I couldn’t find my insurance information (it turns out it was exactly where it was supposed to be in my little folder with my registration).  I also needed to feel the safety of something familiar. 

Driving the short distance to my house the feelings from stress hit me hard. I just started crying.  It’s moments like this one when it briefly hits me that I am single and would have to deal with fixing my world alone.  Of course, that was silly thinking.  Jen would have been there in a heartbeat, well wishes from Nebraska, Missouri and New York poured in. Madlyn and Robin were immediately checking in on me after I posted the picture of the not quite so luminous Lumen on my Facebook page.  They were concerned about the headache I was complaining about. They urged me to see a doctor.  Then my boss’s assistant called me and told me to stay home. I immediately argued I couldn't possibly stay home.  I was getting ready to come in, I had a meeting with my boss that morning and the Chancellor’s Forum to attend later that afternoon. She insisted I stay home and take care of myself and all of the issues that accompany a small accident. 

After much persuading and coaxing I agreed to stay home.  I immediately went inside my house hugged the beagles and called my insurance company; the woman who helped me was very kind and understanding, she walked me through all of the steps.  After I finished talking with her I made an appointment with the body shop, Lumen was in desperate need of a makeover. 

I was in luck, they had an open appointment in 20 minutes.  I quickly changed out of my business suit and heels into a pair of workout shorts, a tank and the most comfy pair of flip flops I own.  I grabbed my phone, my iPod shuffle and headed to the repair shop.  My plan was to drop off Lumen and then walk the few short miles home.  It would give me the time I needed to decompress and process all of the thoughts that were racing through my mind. 

Together!
I have to admit although I was (am) very sad my 6 month old car with less than 10,000 miles is already damaged, I am not bitter. I am grateful the destruction was not worse and no one was seriously injured, I have insurance to help me take care of it and I have a backup car (the Highlander will be happy to be driven for awhile).  Although I appreciate my material possessions, I try not to put too much value on them.  It is only a car and it can be fixed. So much worse has happened in the world, in my world.  Dropping off Lu was nothing compared to the moment I had to decide to put Gillian (pronounced Jillian), my beloved beagle of 12 years, to sleep.  It was nothing compared to the loss of my dear cousin Michael or my most cherished friends Peter and Julie. 

I spent the 3.8 mile walk home thinking about my blessings and all of the positive things in my life. I took pause and enjoyed the world around me.  I took pictures of all of the beautiful sights in nature that

Unexpected beauty in the world
crossed my path.  Wondered curiously about the story behind the various discarded trinkets (pieces of trash) I noticed along the way: Pepsi cans, a spring, candy wrappers, an Avery label, an empty box of Lubricant Trojan condoms, a red piece of paper, and so many other random things. I wish I would have taken an empty trash bag and a pair of gloves with me so I could have picked them up and put them in the trash where they belonged.  Oh and my poor feet wished I would have opted to wear a nice pair of running shoes instead of flip flops.

Lesson learned…life doesn’t always go the way you plan.  Although it sucks when two worlds collide and it is an inconvenience and unexpected expense, it isn’t the end of the world. 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are OK!

    I read once, "Problem or inconvenience? A lump in your oatmeal and a lump in your breast are not the same thing. Know the difference."

    It is definitely a hassle to deal with everything involving a fender bender, but your friends who love you and care about you and would drop everything to help you are glad your mishap is just an inconvenience!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I'm so glad you're OK, Shelly! If anything like that happens again, text or call or email me - I'm so close to where that accident happened from both work and home that I could have been there in less than 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete