Pageviews last month

Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Handsome Man from Boulder


Continued from “Eve Selis Band, Firecracker Shrimp and Folsom Prison Blues."

The energy flowed between the handsome man from Boulder and me throughout the evening as we listened to the Eve, Mark, Larry and Rick.  At one point during the conversation I asked if he was into CrossFit.  Something told me about the way he carried himself he was a fellow CrossFitter.  He was very surprised and immediately asked to see my calloused hands—the badge of honor from doing pull-ups, swinging kettle bells, snatches, jerks and thrusters with the barbell.  We talked about our workouts…burpees, learning double unders, box jumps, rope burns, ass crack rashes, and anything else that came to mind.  The discussion naturally led to an invitation to my gym while he was in town.  The plans were set, I would pick him up the next morning at his hotel and we would go to my gym for “Sunday Funday.” 

After we said our goodbyes for the evening, the morning couldn’t come fast enough. I felt like a giddy girl in school as I was anxiously waiting for the sun to rise.  Sure I always enjoy our weekly mile sandwich house of cards, but I was really looking forward to seeing his bright smile, tantalizing eyes and hearing his contagious laugh. 

As promised I picked him up bright and early.  He must have been a little distracted too because he forgot the donuts he bought us on the table.  Jokingly I told him not to get worried as we were driving because it would seem kind of far.  I promised I wasn’t going to kidnap him.  Somehow I don’t think he would have cared. 

Once we arrived I introduced him to everyone and showed him around the gym. I had him try out my RX Jump Rope, the BEST jump rope ever.  We ran a mile, did the house of cards workout and ran another mile.  No, house of cards is not a fancy poker game.  We get a deck of cards and assign each suit an exercise. For example,  diamonds are sit ups, hearts are wall balls, spades are overhead walking lunges, and clubs are kettle bell swings. Then we choose one card at a time and proceed to do as many reps as the number on the card (9 sit ups, 2 wall balls, etc.) until the deck is finished. 

Although we were exhausted once we completed the workout I don’t think either of us were really ready for the day to end.  We had breakfast at cute little restaurant near Balboa Park.  Chatting like old friends, there was never a moment of awkward silence.  Once breakfast was over I dropped him off and continued my Sunday shopping and doing chores.  If I would have been thinking I would have taken him to La Jolla and suggested walking around the cove or some other sightseeing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment