Pageviews last month

Monday, October 14, 2013

Something Worth Leaving Behind


Whenever I stop and think about my life post-ED it is hard to imagine how I ever had the time to fit him in.  I am very appreciative and grateful for the beautiful world I have discovered since I escaped his wrath. Today I rejoice volunteerism, one of the things I have filled my newfound time with. 

The words of Leeann Womack’s song, “Something Worth Leaving Behind,” really strike a chord in my heart.  I can’t help but wonder out of the 7.046+ billion people on Earth, what is our purpose, what is my purpose?  Thoughts of people dying in the civil war in Syria, children starving in third world countries, families starving even in my own back yard fill my mind.  Images of violence in every form depicted on the news, mass shootings, terrorism, and so many broadcasts about sadness and destruction that could easily fill 1000s of pages of description leave me feeling hopeless and broken hearted.  

All of these thoughts make me question what I am leaving behind?  What is my lasting mark on this world?  I know I can’t solve all of the problems I hear about, I know I will never be nor would I ever want to be famous, but I certainly hope I am able to make a tiny difference in my little corner of the world and perhaps some will remember my name.

Professionally I believe I have left a small handprint on the academic world with my contributions to the study of teaching and learning and multicultural and diversity education in higher education at least one person has quoted me in his own writing; I’ve certainly quoted myself.  I feel as though I have touched the lives of some of my former students.  The letters behind my name could be used to make a pretty hearty alphabet soup.  More importantly, daily in my role I try to provide guidance and a helping hand to faculty and administrators who are trying to navigate through the tangled maze of the curriculum development process.  I admit at times it is a balancing act walking the fine line between faculty desires, student needs and compliance, but at the end of the day most of our goals are achieved. 

Personally I believe I have given a lot of love and support to my friends and family.  I try to be loyal and dependable.  Although I don’t always have all of the answers, I am always there to listen or offer a shoulder to cry on.  Sometimes I can’t help but feel a little regret and sadness that I don’t have what sociologists define as the traditional “nuclear” family … the wife (me), husband, kids, and the white picket fence.  Mercifully, the sadness quickly dissipates when I think about what I define as my “new normal” family.  I know I am the world to three beautiful beagles that greet me at the door every night for hugs, kisses and of course their dinner. 

I try to make the world a better place by following the golden rule, treating people with respect, putting things back where they belong, and minimizing my carbon footprint.  I also try to give back to the world and show my appreciation for the blessings in my life by volunteering whenever I can. 

2 comments:

  1. As always, an amazing read......thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My world is certainly better because you are in it! And my daughter would not be such a staunch advocate for animals if it weren't for your positive influence! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete