Pageviews last month

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Eve Selis Band, Firecracker Shrimp and Folsom Prison Blues



A few days ago I wrote Boy Shorts and Pasties—a glimpse into preparing for an evening out with my friend Claudine to listen to one of my favorite bands.  Here are a little more details about our adventure.

We arrived at Croce’s around 7:45 hoping to get a table in the bar up front and close to the band.  Our plot was promptly foiled when we arrived as all of the tables in the bar were reserved for diners who called in advance and made reservations.  All was not lost, there happened to be two open seats at the bar.  Score!  I didn’t really care where I sat as long as I was able to order food and hear the music.  I was really excited to hear Eve sing Angels and Eagles.  http://eveselis.bandcamp.com/album/angels-and-eagles

“You're like an angel, like an eagle
I know I have to let you fly
Where the world is just a small thing
When you see it from so high
May you breathe in all the freedom
You'll find dancing in the air
If I could give you anything at all
I'd give you everywhere
Like an angel, like an eagle”

This song really resonated with the way I had been feeling.   I had been listening to it over to it over and over and over again and again in my car the previous week.  It was like the song would magically fulfill my own need to fly freely and find the answers I so longed for.

Anyway, back to the evening.  Claudine and I sat at the bar chatting away just waiting for the band to start singing. We ordered our drinks, wine for her and Diet Coke for me. I was so into my own world, I’m not sure how long it took me to realize there was a handsome man sitting on my right.  It looked like he was closing out his tab and getting ready to leave.  Somehow I looked his way and started a conversation.  “Are you from out of town? “ I asked. Corny, I know, but the first thing that popped into my head.  He explained he was visiting from Boulder…something about a business trip.  Out of town = unavailable, which = safe for me to talk to.  (Remember, earlier that same day I wrote my blog about letting go of love and making peace with being my single self). 

I proceeded to inquire if he had ever heard the Eve Selis Band.  He said he thought another band was supposed to play. He rambled off the name, I had never heard of them, but Claudine was familiar with them.  Feeling comfortable I asked all kinds of questions, some very personal.  I was flying free and I wasn’t holding anything back. I think my candid conversation made Claudine uncomfortable.  Not because I was being so open, but I was encouraging her to do the same.  Looking back now, it was not fair of me to put her on the spot.  I wasn’t really thinking about her feelings.  I need to apologize for that. 

I don’t know what got into me. Maybe it was because we seemed to have so much in common and the conversation just seemed to flow from one topic to another.  Nonetheless I was a Chatty Cathy with the handsome stranger from Boulder.

Eve started singing.  I could tell immediately he liked the music.  I had to hold back from singing too much or getting up and dancing.  I shared some of my firecracker shrimp with him, he ordered his own and another drink.  Eve started singing her rendition of Hallelujah.  I always get chills when I hear her sing that song.  My new friend asked me to dance. Looking back now I could kick myself for turning down that invitation. 

The evening went on, enveloped in music and conversation it was like the rest of the world stopped.  Eve started singing Folsom Prison Blues…Johnny Cash, there was no way I was sitting for that one.  I bounced out of my chair, grabbed a couple sitting nearby and started dancing.  Out on the dance floor in pure bliss I look up and the Handsome Stranger from Boulder was dancing by my side. 

Eve Selis Band, Firecracker Shrimp and Folsom Prison Blues…all was right in the universe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment